Our History Of The Agricultural Center Limburgerhof
Supporting farming for more than 100 years
One of the most important innovations of the 20th century was the large-scale implementation of ammonia synthesis, which enabled the production of mineral fertilizers. This marked the starting point in 1914 for BASF’s operations in Limburgerhof, which has been part of the Ludwigshafen site ever since. Mineral fertilizers increase agricultural yields and play a major role in producing more food to meet the needs of the world’s rapidly growing population.
Much has changed since 1914 – the Agricultural Research Station has become the Agricultural Center, BASF’s worldwide center of expertise in the area of crop protection. But one thing has remained the same: Over the decades, our dedicated employees have made great contributions, both large and small, to innovations in agriculture. None of this would have been possible without them. One hundred years ago, the breakthrough was fertilizers. Today, our products and services in the area of crop protection and beyond help to increase yields and the quality of agricultural products around the world.
BASF has a long tradition of working closely with farmers. A look at the history of the Agricultural Center Limburgerhof shows how the needs of farmers have changed and how BASF has helped shape this transformation. Groundbreaking products and solutions as well as the growth of global markets form this history as do crises and setbacks. But again and again, the company has transformed ideas and approaches into market-ready solutions. The history of the Agricultural Center Limburgerhof highlights one of BASF Crop Protection’s key strengths: managing challenges and working together to find new solutions.